Year 10 is the beginning of Senior School, where there is a strong emphasis on preparing students for life beyond school. It is a time when we encourage and support students to build independent skills and take responsibility for their own learning and the choices they make.
This year we have introduced the mantra ‘Own our Story’, encouraging students to:
- Be PROUD of who you are
- Be RESPECTFUL to the people and environment around you
- Take OWNERSHIP of your choices
- Be UNITED as a team and year level
- Be the DRIVER of this journey
“Let all that you do, be done in love.” 1 Corinthians 16:14
One of the key focus for the Year 10 Pastoral Care program is the concept of GEM: Gratitude, Empathy and Mindfulness (H.V. Cuylenburg).
- Gratitude: The ability to pay attention to what you have, instead of worrying about what you don’t have!
- Empathy: The ability to psychologically feel what another person is feeling. The more empathetic we are, the more likely we are to act in a kind way. When you do something kind to others, your brain releases oxytocin, which is known as the ‘love hormone’ – allowing us to feel joy, happiness and love.
- Mindfulness: Taking time to focus solely on the present moment!
Through discussions and activities students have been introduced to ideas and a range of tools that they can draw on to practice Gratitude, Empathy and Mindfulness in their daily endeavours. Some of these activities include weekly gratitude jars, controlled breathing, 5 senses, coloured rice, emotions charades and active listening paired walks. We also encouraged students to create their own bucket lists, inspired by two key questions from The Bucket List movie (2007): Have you found joy in your life, and has your life brought joy to others?
Throughout Semester One we have also seen our Year 10 students participate in extra-curriculum activities including:
- White Card Training
- First Aid Certificate
- Knockout Sports
- Friday Fun Day
- Reconciliation Week
- Understanding SACE and preparing for exams presentations
- Work Experience.
We are proud of the positive approach the Year 10 students are taking to ‘Own their Story’ as they embark on their journey of Senior School and we feel privileged to play a part in this journey.
Mrs Athalie McArdle
Year 10 Pastoral Care Leader